As 2016 winds down, here’s my Christmas List for Working Dads:
All I want for Christmas is…
- That you all have a restful and fun day with those you love on Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year’s, or any other holiday event you celebrate
- That those in your family recognize how hard you work at work to provide and how hard you work at home to be a great dad
- That your boss and coworkers value you as a whole person, including your important role as a father, and provide you with the support you need
- That your work-family juggle can be a bit easier and less stressful (Did you hear there’s a great book of advice and encouragement for just this very purpose? It would make a great gift for you or any dad in your life!)
- That we can double (triple!?) the number of employers that offer paid paternity leave (right now we’re at about 18%)
- That, in 2017, we get a surprise breakthrough on public policy regarding parental leave
- That no one calls you “Mr. Mom” or asks if you “are babysitting?” when you are out with your kids or holding down the fort at home
- That we can find one extra hour a week to spend with those we love
- That we can find one extra hour a week to take care of ourselves with quiet time, exercise or social time
- Beer and fire!
- Another year in which fathers are valued for all we do
- That, in 2017, we can all more closely fulfill our aspiration to be highly involved, loving dads
- That we can keep this important conversation going for 2017 and beyond and continue to see progress both in our own lives and in society
I also want to thank you for your support and friendship this past year. See you in 2017!